Wednesday, November 19, 2008

California is ruining me... or at least bringing out my worst.

so this morning a man collapsed on the train platform and everyone rushed to see if he was OK. it was apparent to the 2 doctors and 1 nurse that had run over to check on him that he was OK, within about 45 seconds. as he sat up under his own power and was able to answer all of their questions. here is where i began to realize that i am an uncaring individual.

the train didn't leave. it waited. for 18 minutes. and the whole time, i thought to myself. 'what a selfish jerk. stop talking to the train conductor. we have places to be.'

this thought reminded me of 3 months back. there was a suicide. a man jumped in front of our train. he was killed instantly. they made us wait for over an hour. and my first thought was: 'why can't this guy off himself in some way that doesn't inconvenience over 700 people?'

and again... a man jumped from the overpass and stopped traffic for over 3 hours.... same first thought. i think i am becoming a rather pessimistic and callous person... what do you all think?

I am going to Hell aren't i?

5 comments:

Erin The Great said...

Yeah... you're going to hell. Just thought you should know ;)

Bags said...

Erin will save you a seat.

brandonjw said...

I think that you are justified. (Does that mean I'm going to hell as an accomplice??)

Many people have jobs with strict attendance policies, and can lose their jobs if late. The machine must keep going.

It is interesting to note that in the case of many suicides, the person places themselves so that a specific person will find them and be hurt by that discovery.

It's d' rage said...

I guess we can only hope that when the last train is leaving for heaven and the conductor sees a few individuals running up the ramp that he waits for them before closing the door. After all it’s better to be late then never!

Jesse Thorn said...

I disagree with the statement before mine. This obviously wasn't the last train to leave, and therefore to wait probably messed up the rest of the schedule for that specific train. Who knows...another person could have lost their job because that train was 18 mins late. I agree with Jeff, not because he's my best friend, but because I'm just as calloused and grumpy by everyone else not being considerate to other people.