Saturday, May 31, 2008

Is 1984 not required reading anymore?

so... I just read about the Dept. of Homeland Security's new(ish) memo to local governments. Has anyone else read this? I have to say, it makes me nervous....

The memo begins with "words matter." I agree, they do. This is probably why the Founding Fathers of America have "Freedom of Speech" as a FIRST amendment right. It is also why communist government in China restricts the search engines results, and newspapers. Why any self absorbed tyrant, in any position of power, will restrict the ability of free speech to the furthest extent of their authority.

However, as I continue to read... I can't help but notice how Orwellian it gets...

It then begins to limit our vocabulary. I mean this literally. They "discourage" the use of such words as "Islamist," "Jihadist," and such. I guess I can (sorta) understand that... but then they start into how we should change it from the "Global War on Terror" to the "Global Struggle for Security and Progress." Why change this? Is it because "war" is too harsh? Are we not attempting to fight Terror? I thought that was the whole point! And since they bring up words mattering... "struggle" brings to mind that we are simply working towards something, not shedding blood. (Even though we are). And I actually did laugh at "security and progress." Are we really willing to change the goal so much?!? From fighting Terror all the way to security and progress?

The last thing to make me blink was that they want us to stop using the word "liberty." Apparently it is too closely related to American hegemony. (I would imagine that it should be, as we were the first democratic nation that succeeded in espousing it.) What do they want us to replace this word with? "Progress." There it is again. Why have they chosen this? "Because all people want to support progress." Well this is where I have a big problem. You see, all people feel they are fighting for progress. Marxism and Communism view their movements as 'progressive.' The very essence of totalitarian rule is a restriction or outright denial of liberty, most often in the name of progress. So here is my question: what are we "progressing" to?

What about security? What sort of security are we looking for here? Let me think of some of the best track records for security from history. Nazi Germany, not many got away from notice. Communist Russia, people are still scared of the KGB. Mussolini, he more or less destroyed the Mafia in Italy. So, I would say that dictatorships have rather strong record when it comes to "security."

So again, WORDS MATTER! Now tell me why DHS is trying to limit my vocabulary? Why are they choosing more broad and generic words? Orwell called it "Newspeak" and said that it is the only language that gets smaller everyday. I think my good friend George would be pitching a righteous fit right now... and I think I want to join him!

1 comment:

Abby and Eric said...

to be honest...it is a damn shame that i am the first person to comment on this post. How many people have read this and sat idly by waiting for someone else to post! This is it people...1984! (which i might add was a fantastic year, especially mid-February) As a quote in my favorite movie says, "there is no greater sin that the apathy of good men." Well the fact that everyone is waiting around for the 'other shoe to rop' is unacceptable. Jeff, i stand with you loud and proud. Jihad, Islamist, Global War on Terror...there i said...i defy your cruel muzzles that attempt to deny the most basic of principles that this country, our country, was founded upon. ...more to come later