Thursday, April 3, 2008

un-professional? me?

so as many of you may know i have been interviewing at many different places to get the wife and myself an excellent job. (which i hope we have now found). however, at one of the interviews that i had, we had a uniquely interesting little dialogue, which i think needs to be shared.

Background: i am told that i have an interview at 2:30 in Provo. i work a normal schedule (8-5) in South Jordan (25-30 min drive form Provo). so to make this on time i very obviously have to leave my place of employment early.

when i arrived at 2:15, i am told that i can read the Wall Street journal while i wait. i already have read it. so i think to myself not a problem, it is only a few minutes. little did i know that i was about to enter a room, not for my expected interview, but to have a 2 hour introduction to the company. while i sat and tried very hard to be polite, my wife sent me a text message. that i did not check.

now after this presentation they began to lead us to another room. while moving to the next room i check the text and quickly respond. when i get into the interview room, they have the audacity to tell me that i was being "very un-professional." now, i know, that i should have thought a minute before responding, but i didn't. what resulted was ironic to me. i don't think i have ever been more arrogant in my entire life.

my response: i specifically waited until after your presentation and finished prior to reaching this room. if you feel that is un-professional, i apologize. however, now that you mention un-professional... i think it is un-professional to tell a candidate to arrive for an interview during the middle of a weekday, taking them from work, and then, instead of an interview forcing them to learn about your company.

them: it is very important that a person know about the company they are going to work for.

me: of course it is. that is why they should have looked all of this stuff up prior to an interview, if not before applying at all. if a professional has applied for a job and has not done this due diligence, then they are a bad candidate and should not be hired. so please do not waste more of my time.

them: you have a point... we are sorry.

now tell me that was not ironic? i was an arrogant, pompous, ass... and they offered me the job!

strange world, isn't it?

4 comments:

Bags said...

And that is why I love you batman... in a very heterosexual, brother-like way. Congrats.

Jesse Thorn said...

All I can say is, WOW!! I wish that I was quick on my feet and had witty, scarcastic, but very true statements on the tip of my tongue like that.

Me said...

That sounded like the Batman I know! I'm glad to hear you got the job offer. Was that the interview that needed me to talk you down for? Are you going to take the offer?

Unknown said...

no, no, my friends, i didn't take that job. i wont work for a company that totes itself as very professional and a "high roller" when in fact they are a very large phone sales company... morons...