Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Starting to see...

I have started taking public transport to commute to work here in Houston... and I am seeing a trend from my time commuting in LA.  There are three types of people that take public transport, regardless of where you are taking it.


  • Crazy people. Seriously, I think it is because they can't get a drivers license or something because there is an in-ordinate amount of nut-jobs.
  • People like me - trying to save a bit of money and sanity by not driving in a large cities crap traffic. Generally trying to ignore everyone and mind own business by reading, ipod, etc.
  • The person that MUST talk to whoever is near them and argue over inane pointless things that they know nothing about.
This last type of person has me irate this morning, because two days in a row I have been hassled by one.

Last night on the way home was the lady who knows more about Mormons than anyone, because she lived in SLC for all of 2 years (it is the only time she has lived away from Houston, TX). This has given her such a wealth of knowledge on the subject of Mormons, that an actual member of the church is told that I know nothing of my own faith and obviously have never interacted with "real Mormons" in Utah... never-mind the fact that I went to the University of Utah and lived in UT for a SIGNIFICANTLY longer period than her... ugh.

Then, this morning, another lady was informing everyone that even though traffic in Houston is bad, we can have comfort in the fact that LA is worse. Except she has admittedly never lived there... or anywhere other than Houston and Minneapolis. So how could she even base this opinion on anything other than hearsay? I tried to share my experience of 3 years of traffic in the very city she mentions letting her know that both cities are actually fairly comparable. The 405 and the Beltway and Loop are almost identical during high traffic time. I was told, "you aren't old enough to know bad traffic." What does my age have to do with it? 

People annoy me. I must be anti-social. *Sigh* I was trying so hard to be a nice person, but I may be too tired to do it.

1 comment:

Bags said...

I can just see you fuming and trying to hold in your opinion as these mouth-breathers drone on about things they know nothing about.

Such a fun visual.